As 2016 is about to make it’s appearance, I reflect on 2015 and realize that it has flown by. It was a great year, full of new beginnings but extremely busy and I feel as if New Years Eve 2014 was just yesterday! It was a year without many posts because I could never find much time to sit and write. I hope that next year I do better. Here is what filled my 2015 and I’m hoping that 2016 is just as good or better!
- My husband won a trip to Mexico. It was our first time to travel outside the country and our first time to own passports! We were able to escape an ice storm back home and bask in the sun while everyone else we knew was freezing their asses off. Unfortunately he didn’t score the trip for 2016 but it was nice for him to be able to celebrate his success amongst his peers.
- We took our first Spring Break trip with the kiddos. I think from now on we will stick to summer vacations and make future Spring Breaks staycations but going to Vegas for a week was fun, different and a nice way to break up the monotony of getting back to work and school after the holidays.
- The major feat of 2015 was that we bought our first house. The while process was excruciating – from the home search, to making offers, to the inspection, the negotiation, the closing – everything was completely draining. I hope to never do that again any time soon. The end result is great however, we ended up with a nice home that needs a little bit of updating in 2016 but it gives us our space and it’s nice for once to be able to call ourselves homeowners.
- We went to several really great concerts throughout the year. I’m blessed to have two really great teenagers that love to go to concerts as much as I do. We saw Lenny Kravitz, Fall Out boy (twice), 5 Seconds of Summer, The Avett Brothers and Garth Brooks. We had tickets to three others but one got rained out and the other two we didn’t go to because we were tired out!
- At the very end of 2014 I went back to a job that I really enjoy. Over this year I have grown close to my coworker and we’ve had a very successful year overall. I’m very thankful for the relationships I’ve built at my workplace this year and I’m really looking forward to what 2016 will bring for us.
- In August we adopted a Great Pyrenees puppy from the Texas Great Pyrenees Rescue. After our lab Koda passed in Jan 2014, I swore that we wouldn’t get another for a very long time. When I happened to open facebook and see a Pyrenees puppy named “Koda Bear” (the exact same name as our lab) with the same big ol head and long eyebrows that needed a home….that was it. He came to live with us on August 6!
- I was able to take my best friend to my favorite place on earth – Las Vegas. It was such a fun trip and really a good time to share my love of the city with two of my favorite people.
- One of the most special memories of 2015 was our visit to Rowdy Girl Farm Sanctuary. It truly was a life changing experience and through our visit I have made a friend in it’s founder, Renee and hope to help them accomplish more great things going into 2016.
- The most meaningful change, or decision I’ve made in 2015 was that to live a completely cruelty-free Vegan lifestyle. With a little push from my daughter and our visit to the farm, I couldn’t have made a better choice for my physical and mental well being. I’m still working on the other members of our family because I would like to see them healthier and feeling better in 2016. It is no lie that living on a plant based diet is much better for your health overall and not having another sentient being’s blood on your hands is good for the soul.
As I look towards 2016, there are no vacation plans as of yet but lots of “to-dos” and “to-fixs” around the house now that we are homeowners. Floors need to be replaced, showers need remodeling and I’d like to finally build a DIY library wall in our front living room. As far as personal resolutions, I hope to get back to Yoga class sometime soon and get back into shape. The Vegan diet helps to keep the weight down but it won’t miraculously turn existing flab into muscle…so I could use a little help there!
Overall it’s been a really great year, full of change, new things and fun experiences. I’m wondering how next year can top this one, but I’m sure we will figure it out. The blessings keep coming and God never disappoints. To all of you reading this, I hope your blessings keep coming as well and you have a very happy and healthy new year!